As Delaware companies strive to remain competitive in this global marketplace the importance of having a trained Delaware Workforce has never been greater.
The Workforce Development Team of the Economic Development Office plays a significant role in keeping Delaware’s businesses and industries competitive by assisting them in funding customized training for their workforce.
A ready workforce with the right skills and knowledge is critical to the success of Delaware businesses. In addition to the benefits of optimal tax programs, Delaware provides the Blue Collar Grant Program.
In addition, DEDO offers award training grants to individuals who aspire to improve, advance within their particular career or change career paths through education.
Governor’s Blue Collar Grant Program (BCGP)
The Blue Collar Grant Program (BCGP) matching training grant fund is designed for Delaware’s companies; whether they are relocating, existing and/or expanding their business they may qualify for occupational skills upgrade training for their workforce. The Blue Collar Grant Program (BCGP) has a strong reputation for assisting companies to meet and exceed industry needs for customized, flexible, and industry-driven skills training.
BCGP is funded through Delaware Unemployment Taxes. A portion of the funds are shared by the Department of Labor to provide Employment & Training services for the unemployed population and the Economic Development Office - Workforce Team who focuses on providing training grants for relocating and existing companies. These funds are available to train entry level employees up to font-line supervisors. All training is industry-specific to meet the needs of the company and its employees. The funds can be used in multiple ways and for various types of training programs such as: basic skills, industry skills, pre-employment and on-the-job training. Various methods of training are available: on-line instruction, classroom instruction and hybrid instruction.
Access the Delaware Substitute Form W-9 and download the instructions, timeline and application:
Governor’s Workforce Development Grant
The Governor’s Workforce Development Grant for Working Adults is designed to assist working adult students who meet enrollment, employment, and income eligibility requirements below.
Working adult students who meet enrollment, employment and income eligibility requirements may be eligible for $2,000 for one academic year.
To qualify, applicants must be:
- 18 years old or older
- A High School graduate or GED recipient
- A resident of Delaware and a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
Eligibility requirements include:
- Must be employed by a company in Delaware.
- Employees of government agencies, hospitals, and nonprofit agencies are not eligible.
- Part-time or temporary employment at any eligible company qualifies.
- If employed full-time, employer must be an eligible small business with 100 or fewer employees.
- Must attend a participating Delaware school in Delaware on a part-time basis.
Governor’s Education Grant for Unemployed Workers
This program aims to help qualified individuals with training costs to learn a new skill or upgrade a current skill, and is designed to help those who lost jobs due to the current economic climate.
To qualify applicants must be:
- Unemployed and actively seeking employment for a minimum of 90 days within the period of January 2009 – December 2010.
- Registered with the Department of Labor—Division of Employment and Training (DET).
- Recommended by a DET Career Counselor.
- Ineligible for Department of Labor’s Dislocated Worker Training Program.
- A high school graduate or GED recipient.