A Flourishing Life Sciences Industry
Delaware is one of only a handful of states in the country that specializes in all four bioscience subsectors: agriculture, feedstock and chemicals; drugs and pharmaceuticals; medical devices and equipment; and research and testing.
The state is uniquely positioned at the center of one of the nation’s top life sciences and pharmaceutical corridors, which encompasses Delaware, Pennsylvania and New Jersey. Together, these three states represent more than 80 percent of the U.S. pharmaceutical industry. In addition, most of the world’s top pharmaceutical companies have significant operations within a 50-mile radius of Dover, the state’s capital.
AstraZeneca, one of the largest pharmaceutical companies in the world, has its U.S. headquarters in Delaware. Agilent Technologies operates chemical analysis, measurement, research and development, marketing, and manufacturing processes from its Little Falls Center of Excellence — an 8,000-square-foot, state-of-the-art demonstration laboratory. With all of this activity, our state has become known as a hotbed for research, commercialization and production in the life sciences sector.
Delaware Life Sciences Resources and Institutions:
- The Delaware BioScience Association, a 120-member trade association, serves as the state’s advocate for the industry in the region and beyond.
- The Delaware Technology Park is a research park that houses two world-class life science research institutes — the Delaware Biotechnology Institute and the Fraunhofer USA Center for Molecular Biotechnology.
- The Delaware Biotechnology Institute (DBI) serves as the technology transfer arm of the University of Delaware and has become a nationally recognized leader in plant molecular biology and genomics-based poultry disease research.
- The Fraunhofer USA Center for Molecular Biotechnology (CMB) is a partnership between the Fraunhofer Society in Germany and the State of Delaware. It conducts research in plant biotechnology, developing cutting-edge technologies to assist in the diagnosis, prevention and treatment of human and animal diseases.
- The Delaware State University Center for Integrated Biological and Environmental Research is a regional faculty network hub that includes Delaware State University, Wesley College, Delaware Technical Community College and the University of Delaware. This collaborative effort identifies funding sources, offers training and sharing of instrumentation and equipment, coordinates use of key research facilities, and integrates research among its partner institutions.
- The Delaware Health Science Alliance is a coalition of leading education, healthcare and medical research institutions, including Christiana Care Health System, Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children, Thomas Jefferson University and the University of Delaware, located in a 300,000-square-foot facility at the University of Delaware’s Science, Technology & Advanced Research Campus.
Global Life Sciences Companies in Delaware:
Siemens Healthcare Diagnostics
Merck Animal Health